Executive and Technical Blogs
Lexmark print spoolers conflicting with Windows
Some Lexmark printer software and/or drivers can cause problems whereby the Print Spooler service conflicts with the Server service on Windows workstations and servers. Symptoms include very long (15 minute) waits on first starting Windows before it responds, as well as events logged in the System section of Event Viewer for "The Server service hung on starting". The Print Spooler is attempting to start at the same time, which causes Server service to hang.
The solution is to make the Print Spooler service dependent on the Server service, so it will not start until after the Server service is started.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedt32, and then click OK.
- Locate and click the following registry key:
- Click Add Value on the Edit menu.
- Type DependOnService in the Value Name box.
- Click REG_MULTI_SZ in the Data Type box, and then click OK.
- Type LanmanServer in the Data box, and then click OK.
- Click Exit on the Registry menu to quit Registry Editor.
- Restart your computer.
For steps 4 through 7: If the "DependOnService" value already exists and has an entry, you can add another by double-clicking the value and entering it on a new line.
If you need help with this or any other support issue, please don't hesitate to contact me at the ALI Technical Assistance Center at (540) 443-3398.
Advanced Logic Industries
Technical Assistance Center (TAC)
Trackback URL for this blog entry.